[SLUG] TCWO

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 09:58:58 EDT

Hi All

I decided to configure the desk top - you guys recall the one I built - like
the laptop.

That lead to rediscovery, again, that Mandrake in CD is very different than
Mandrake in DVD both of which are very different from Mandrake down-load. The
difference being of course the programs that are included with the
distribution.

It seems that through happenstance I acquired Mandrake 9.1 in DVD and Mandrake
9.2 in Cd. What I have noted missing in the CD version that is extremely
important to me is: Midnight Commander and the data bases like MySQL. For
the CD version these programs come on disk 7 which was not included in my box
set.

The only issue was that the desk top had a 52 X reader only which did not have
DVD capabilities. Thus it was either replace the DVD or buy or a new
distribution with both CD and DVD but the latter reminds me of a book I saw
on Fedora which had both with a few disk short on the CD side.

Anyway it was off to Thompson's TCWO for a new CD/DVD drive.

Getting to TCWO proved to be interesting as they have moved north closer to
Waters on the West of Benjamin Road -nice show room. Anyway TCWO has gone
into a new business which they have next door in which they purchase
electronic at reduced rates and sell them on e-bay. You can go from the
computer parts supply to the others by a large cut in the wall.

Noted items include very large screen TV, sound equipment, microwaves, and
other assorted things including bundles of disks, cables, et.

For myself I picked up a medium size [not the small size or the large size]
for the roaring price of $21.34 with tax.

Frank