RE: [SLUG] Fastrack TX2000 IDE Raid Controller, mandrake 10, kernel 2.6.x

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 19:06:07 EDT

>>I invested in a Promise Fastrack TX2000 IDE Raid Controller, which
supposedly works under Linux...

It's my understanding that the Promise controller is NOT true hardware-based
RAID. I used a 3Ware controller ($139 from NewEgg.com) that booted without
any drivers (SuSE 9.1). It appears to be a SCSI host controller to Linux,
and is a true hardware-based RAID. It allows you to mirror your swap
partition, so you don't crash if you lose one disc. With software RAID, you
will crash if you lose /swap on one drive. Not a big issue on a
workstation, but a big issue for a server.

I'm told there are performance issues with it, and software RAID is faster.
It's worked well for me, however.

Ken Elliott