Re: [SLUG] x configuration

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronanh@auctionsolutions.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 08:46:03 EDT

> Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Pardon my scattered brain.
>
> I'm using Debian Sarge. There doesn't seem to be an "xfree86config"
> file on the machine, and yes, it's xfree that is installed. I found
> references online to editing "xf86config", but the only files by that
> name are binaries, as are files called "xf86cfg". I'm kind of at a loss.
>
> Another question, while I'm at it, is this: What should I do to enable
> the scroll wheel on my trackball in the window manager (WindowMaker,
> if it matters)?

Here is a great tip for getting usable hardware (including X) configs:
boot KNOPPIX. KNOPPIX is a debian-based CDROM-only distro (it doesn't
touch your harddrive), which has fantastic hardware auto-configuration
support. It has always found my mice (including scrollwheel),
soundcards, etc. It even picked-up my nVidia card and used the nv driver
(the closed-source driver is not available on the CD). Once you are
booted into KNOPPIX, you can mount your harddrive and copy
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to /mnt/hda/etc/X11 (or whatever your mountpoint
happens to be). If you have already tweaked your X configs, and don't
want to clobber your work, you can steal the appropriate lines from the
KNOPPIX configs and merge them (manually) into your config files.

BTW, KNOPPIX comes with a script (knoppix-installer) to install itself
to the harddisk (a really easy way to get a Debian install).

--ronan