Re: [SLUG] Technical Resource Kit

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 19:07:43 EDT

Richard S. Smoot wrote:

> I got my kit in today's mail.
> Got a problem. the only way get to use DVD on this computer
> is an external USB BackPack drive.
> How do I boot it? My CMOS does not have USB boot as an option.
> Suse 8.2 is the only USB capable OS in my computer.

I received mine today, as well. The packaging is similar in concept to the
packaging for my copy of SuSE 8.0 Professional, but cheaper, chintzier, and
smaller. It's still better than I half-expected it to be, though, so I don't
have any complaints.

I have a similar problem for installation: I just realized that I don't really
have any computers I can afford to give up steady use of long enough to test the
software on. It's going to be a mad scramble, I suppose, to scrape together
something to use. Considering my recent enamoredness (clumsy word, that) with
Debian, I suppose SuSE will have its work cut out for it to win me over, but I'm
more than willing to give it an honest chance to win me back, at least for some
purposes.

Ah, well. Time to go back to watching Tour de France post-show and pre-show
coverage between repeated showings of today's Stage Three race events. Time to
get some work done, too, I suppose.