Re: [Fwd: [SLUG] Postfix SMTP client, relay mail through Earthlink SMTP server]

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 08:58:39 EDT

I think that the auth hashes you want to use don't include sasl. you have to
use...I can't remember. But after looking through some of my own email to the
list (you should be able to google for my name, along w/
smtpauth.earthlink.net to search the list archives, probably would help if
you put slug in there, too), I found this little nugget:

I read in the Exim docs somewhere that you can telnet to port 25 of the
smarthost's smtp server to find out what kinds of encryption it supports.
This is important because you don't want to send your username/password out
in cleartext. :-)

I imagine that you can find the telnet commands in your postfix docs, too. In
this case, your smarthost is smtpauth.earthlink.net.

HTH

Russell

- --
Linux -- the OS for the Renaissance Man