Re: [SLUG] Firewall latency

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronanh@auctionsolutions.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 13:36:42 EDT

>>> Also, why wouldn't you just buy an inexpensive box to run as a linux
>>> iptables firewall since you're planning on using iptables anyway
>>> instead of buying some expensive firewall appliance or running
>>> iptables on each box?
>>>
>> Mostly it is a performance issue (I guess), see my other response
>> (from before this one).
>

> Ian may be able to say for sure about handling the 180Mbps figure you
> quoted, but I know that NKS has tons of "beige box" linux-based
> firewalls all over the place handling tons and tons and tons of
> network traffic without any problem at all. From your other post about
> the architecture, I don't really see that having one fairly powerful
> firewall box would really be any problem for what you want to do. Put
> a few interfaces in it and bind them or just put them up on multiple
> IP addresses to spread the load across. I know there are people doing
> gigabit on linux with iptables/netfilter and snort and aren't going
> out and buying eight-way 4Ghz Opteron boxes to do it.

If we are going to put in a standalone firewall, it will probably be
Cisco; I can't *guarantee* to my bosses that the performance would be as
good with a Linux solution, though I suspect that it would. "Nobody ever
got fired for buying Cisco." To be fair, we have a rather
latency-sensitive, 'realtime' application. Even if the solution is good
at handling bandwidth, we need to be careful about latency.

> Centralizing the firewall also gives you the
> single-point-of-analysis/response for snort. Otherwise you're either
> building a big machine anyway to connect to a span-port on your switch
> (which always seems to be at least a little problematic if not
> downright busted) or putting snort on all of your application servers,
> which it sounds like are already pretty heavily loaded.

I am leaning towards the span-port solution for IDS, but we might
actually go with one copy of snort on each application server (our
current switch doesn't support mirroring).

>> The automatic IDS is probably going to be a must, just because of
>> speed. By the time a beeper message has gotten from snort to our
>> sysadmin (and we do not have a 24/7 admin staff), and he has SSH'd in
>> to see if there is an attack, several of our applications could have
>> been crippled (very expensive, and bad PR). I would rather lock-out a
>> kosher user and take 30 minutes to let them back in, than have all of
>> our remote users (hundreds) frozen-out by a DOS attack for 10 minutes.
>

> Then you probably still want to use snort with flexresp. It will block
> connections that match the rule you've specified, without having to
> mess about with your iptables rules. (trying to automagically manage
> iptables rules is just really really messy, and I really don't suggest
> it, no matter how important the auto-respond thing is. Best case
> scenario is that it blocks valid users for a while, worst case
> scenario is that the rules insert/delete/modify gets messed up and
> your whole firewall barfs its guts for the whole world to get access
> to....)

flexresp only works if snort is running on a box that isolates the rest
of the network (e.g. a dedicated firewall), or am I mistaken? I am
looking at "Guardian" which reads the snort logs and manipulates
IPTables (and IPChains, ipfwadm, PIX, etc). Guardian has a whitelist
feature that I consider critical to keep us from getting locked out of
our machines.

> The other obvious (and tactless) question is, how poorly is this
> application written that it can be so easily Pwn3d that you need this
> kind of feature and wouldn't it be worth it to spend some of the
> resources hardening the app than building a big IDS infrastructure to
> protect it?

I have been similarly tactless with my superiors, and they are tired of
hearing it.

--ronan