[SLUG] hostname resolution wackiness

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 23:18:52 EDT

I'm still figuring out all this 'nix networking stuff. In fact, I mostly
operate on the PFM principle ("pure f'ing magic") where networking with 'nix is
concerned. I install Debian Sarge, install Samba, and fiddle with smb.conf
until it does what I want it to on my hybrid network.

My issue is this: I can't ping by hostname.

There are three Debian machines on this network now (one Woody Stable, two Sarge
Testing). With all three of these, I cannot ping most of the network by
hostname. I cannot SSH by hostname, either. I can, however, ping by IP
address, can nmblookup by hostname, and can ping the router (which also provides
DHCP) by hostname. The Windows boxen on the network ping each other and the
Linux machines by IP address or hostname without problems.

Any ideas?