Re: [SLUG] hostname resolution wackiness

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 00:43:57 EDT

ethan zimmerman wrote:

> Here is the file you want to mess with
> /etc/hosts
>
> you can read about it in the manual pages
> man hosts
>
> Basically it's a bunch of lines that associate an IP address with some
> sort of human-friendly name/alias. It has 3 parts
> IP_address canonical_hostname aliases

That doesn't solve the problem of name resolution when DHCP assigns IP addresses
dynamically, though. I'd have to edit the /etc/hosts file every time the lease
ran out on the IP address. I'm looking for a way to "fix" the problem rather
than "kludge" it and, since I don't know enough about the specifics of Linux
networking services to know where the problem actually lies in the operations of
the OS, I have come to this list for help with that. My criteria are basically
this: I want it to be able to resolve hostnames to dynamic IP addresses without
just doing an end-run around the problem (though jury-rigged solutions are
endlessly fascinating, as well), which means I'll need something other than a
cron job running a Perl script to rewrite the /etc/hosts file every few minutes.