Re: [SLUG] Slow Mozilla

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 00:26:55 EDT

On Saturday 10 July 2004 07:48 am, scott wrote:
> It sounds to me like your /etc/resolv.conf file may have a bad dns
> server listed,
> causing things to time out until the next one is tried. A browser
> can look up
> addresses many times, whereas a mail or ftp client looks them up
> once, or at least I imagine that to be the case. Try commenting out
> the first server in the
> resolv.conf file by placing the # character at the start of the line
> and see if things
> speed up.

Scott,

Hmmmmm....at your suggestion I went and looked at /etc/resolv.config
I found something strange. The file had been replaced by pppd, & pppo.

The nameserver entry show two numbers I have never seen before. They are
no way close to my ISP.

Following is the resolv.conf file:
# Process: pppd
# Process_id: 2523
# Script: /etc/ppp/ip-up
# Saveto:
# Info: This is a temporary resolv.conf created by service pppd.
# The previous file has been saved and will be restored
later.
#
# If you don't like your resolv.conf to be changed, you
# can set MODIFY_{RESOLV,NAMED}_CONF_DYNAMICALLY=no. This
# variables are placed in /etc/sysconfig/network/config.
#
# You can also configure service pppd not to modify it.
#
# If you do not want the pppd to change your nameserver
# settings set MODIFYDNS=no in the config file for
# this provider in /etc/sysconfig/network/providers/
# and ensure that the option usepeerdns is not set
# in /etc/ppp/options.
#
### END INFO
nameserver 206.165.75.20
nameserver 206.165.75.10
The saved file was blank. Nothing inside.

Could this be the problem, and is this normal? Should I do what the file
suggests? Would I change the nameserver to my ISP's numbers, or would
the file regenerate itself? Can somebody explain what is going on?
Please bear with my ignorance on this subject.

> Bob Stia wrote:

Bob S.