Re: [SLUG] hostname resolution wackiness

From: Larry Brown (larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 10:35:43 EDT

Dynamic DNS will solve the problem. Microsoft is leaving wins and
attempts to avoid reliance on NetBIOS and is relying heavily on dynamic
dns themselves. I have not set this up either so I can't assure you it
works smoothly. The problem is that you are trying to patch together
this collage of machines and there are inherent problems that have to be
overcome to accomplish this. You can't say that because nmblookup works
and ping doesn't, that ping is falling on its face. Ping, nor 99% of
every other app on Linux/Unix/Mac/Solaris/AIX/ and on and on, do not
resolve Microsoft's implementation of desktop discovery. NMBLookup is a
program designed to look up M$ boxes using M$'s methodology. No wonder
it finds them ok. Pretty much each of the OS's above and M$ use DNS.
Now I think it is time for you to look at dynamic DNS and see what it
can do for you. Any Linux/Unix variant on your network can act as a dns
server and I think any M$ server os can as well. You'll probably need
Windows2000 server or later to run dynamic dns though. Again, you will
need to do the research to find its limitations etc.

That being said, I spent about 4 minutes on google and it appears there
is a library called libnss_wins.so that should resolve names for you
using the wins service. Now all of your Windows clients can be set to
use wins, you can set the wins server name in dhcp so that new clients
will automatically pick up on it. Once you set that up you should be
able to resolve names for sure. I'll have to look at dynamic dns now.
You sure are creating some work here... I really need to know this
stuff anyway.

I'm sure I'll be back soon with an answer on it.