Re: [SLUG] Using old ethernet wiring?

From: Jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 13:22:35 EDT

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 07:50 pm, Mark Polhamus wrote:
> (Hoping to find a local network expert who works with legacy wiring...)
>
> Just moved into a new place, and along with all the cable tv coax wiring,
> there appears to be couple runs of 75 Ohm "thicknet" coax (10base5??). I
> would like to use this cable to connect a downstairs network to my cable
> modem/router upstairs. Probably just a ReplayTV unit -- just for the
> channel guide, not for streaming video.
>
> Is there any cheap way to do this? Some sort of 10baseT<->10base5 media
> converter on each end? Anyone know how, and where to get the hardware?

You need NIC's with the right connector (IIRC they are BNC), a Tee at each end
and a terminating resistor at each end. Some of the cheapie hubs have at
least one of those connectors, so that may help you at one end.

> Obviously at some point it becomes cheaper/easier to buy a wireless bridge
> and hook it up to my wireless access point which I already own. Or run
> cat5e cable (or fiber?) -- which probably means spending much time in a
> hot, hot attic :(, or hiring someone to do it ($$). Seems a shame not to
> use the existing wiring though.

I ran CAT5 to 3 rooms here, and was able to use an existing nonfunctional
cable coax to pull the CAT5 in one room. If you have to go up in the attic,
the best time is either after an afternoon rain or late at night. A good rain
will cool down that hot roof considerably. The attic will drop from 140+ to
only about 110 degrees for about 20 minutes, then it becomes a steambath
again. Work fast. :)