Re: boot problem with new kernel (was: Re: [SLUG] wireless card problem)

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 20:01:11 EDT

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Tevfik Yücek wrote:

> I compiled the new kernel, copied the image to /boot/ directory and
> updated lilo.cnf and run lilo. However, I commented out the part for
> old kernel image.

That was a mistake, but you knew that. Always leave yourself a way out.

> Now I have two options in the startup, my windoze
> partition and new kernel. When I tried to boot with new kernel I get
> the following error:
>
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on hda1

If that's the wrong partition (but the kernel is otherwise mostly OK),
boot the new kernel with the "root=/dev/hdxy" argument.

> Anyway, is there a way to reboot my computer with old kernel and
> change the lilo.conf so that I can try to fix the above error?

No. Well, theoretically you could use some product for Windows that
allows it to read the Linux filesystem, then run loadlin.exe. But
practically, no.

> I have the installation disks for the linux.

You can boot from them, mount your root partition and fix your error.
Don't forget to run /sbin/lilo!

A. A Top Poster
B. Who's there?
A. Knock-knock -- from bobward@xxx.com