[SLUG] PCMCIA WLAN hunt

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 18:28:33 EDT

I need to get my hands on a WLAN PCMCIA card, Linux-compatible (preferably
without having to install additional drivers), on the cheap. Used/refurbished
is okay, as long as it works reliably. Since I have no idea where the local
stock overage and junk shops for computer parts are, I'm asking youse guys:
Where can I find that sort of thing? It needs to be in the "ridiculously
inexpensive" range, as the laptop I'm looking to outfit is really a crusty old
boat anchor that isn't worth the cost of a new PCMCIA card itself. I'm scraping
the barnacles off it and getting the thing into a worthwhile shape (hopefully),
but to do so I need some network connectivity, preferably wireless. I would, of
course, prefer multiple compatibility (a/b/g), but I guess I'll consider
whatever's available.

Failing a wireless card I can justify the money for, I'll take a PCMCIA NIC for
old-fashioned CAT-5 hardwire Ethernet, though again it needs to be in the
ridiculously cheap range of price. While I'm at it, a working battery and
memory expansion would be nice, though I suspect that's like asking for the moon.

In case it matters (like if one of you has a battery or memory module lying
around), it's a Toshiba Satellite 200CDS with a 100MHz Pentium processor. It
takes Type I/II/III cards, and pretty much has all the connectors high-end
laptops of its time had (which is to say NOT any USB ports).

Does anyone know where I can find that sort of thing? Do any of you have any
extras lying around that you'd be willing to part with? What sort of prices are
the minimums I can expect? I've seen PCMCIA WLAN cards online for around $5
each, but the shipping and handling is around $10, and by the time I've paid
both I'd have already spent just about what this thing is worth as a whole.