Re: {SPAM?} RE: [SLUG] Using old ethernet wiring?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 14:21:23 EDT

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Donald E Haselwood wrote:

> Regarding PVC: My mother-in-law had lightning strike a big pine tree. One
> path it took was into the water line, through the PVC. Compared to dry
> sand, the water apparently was a better conductor.

Pure water is a nonconductor. Tap water is not pure.

> I would expect lightning to "find" wire inside buried PVC. Fla Power
> (or TECO?), a number of decades ago tested underground power lines (east
> of Bradenton, as I remember) and abandoned the idea as current from
> lightning was putting holes in the jacket (pvc & metal shield).

My parents thought copper water lines to be better than PVC for taste and
such. Come to find out that in a high-lightning area like Florida, the
lightning puts pinholes in copper, but wouldn't do so (or so I've heard)
in PVC. You indicate it would. What's your recommendation for water
pipes then?

Since their water lines run through the (poured concrete)
foundation/block, the cost of replacing them is prohibitive, and they've
had to abandon or repurpose some pipes, as others went bad.

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Derived from Robert Heinlein