RE: [SLUG] Using old ethernet wiring?

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 07:07:50 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 wchast@utilpart.com wrote:
>
>> Paul M Foster wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 01:43:14PM -0400, Doug Koobs wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>> I used this same setup to pull 300 feet of cord through PVC piping
>> between two houses then pulled cat5 through it. Needed the lub though
>> as it got a bit hard about 3/4 of the way through. But at least I
>> have the two buildings linked.
>
> Shouldn't put something conductive between buildings. They might have
> different ground potential (it works, thus disproving that), or
> lightning could strike nearby, frying one or both ends and attached
> equipment. You should use fiber or radio.

I want to replace it with fibre but needed to get it going, did not want
to deal with the hassle of RF on the street end. So pulled some cat5.
I have one end of a fibre system, just need to get the other box and then
I will pull fibre through it and be done.

Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;
and twisted metal."

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com