Re: [SLUG] samba and xp app

From: Larry Brown (larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 08:20:05 EDT

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 21:47, Chad Perrin wrote:

> The big question that comes to mind here is, of course, "What application are
> you trying to run?" That might actually have an effect on how to solve the
> problem. If it worked on a Win2k box with the database housed on Linux, then it
> should be possible to make it work on an XP box with the database housed on
> Linux as well. The caveat here is that I'll make no promises if it's XP Home
> (which lacks some of XP's networking functionality). So: there's another
> question. "Is it XP Home or XP Pro?"

The application is called CenterPiece. It is a financial planning
application. Its server configuration allows you to sellect where to
find the db files. The files are in the same place and the CenterPiece
version did not change. This is XP Pro. Since the choice was between
Home and Pro...

> Oh, yeah, that's another thing: If I recall correctly, XP also handles password
> encryption differently from 2k, and I'm afraid that I haven't had to actually
> deal with the problem yet where Samba is concerned, so I don't have any guidance
> on the matter off the top of my head. It's something you might look into, though.

> [snip]... I don't know what
> distribution of Linux, password encryption for Samba, network traffic management
> systems, or database-driven application you're running.

I would imagine that I have the password part set correctly as I am able
to browse to the share and create/delete files there from windows
explorer. There is no restrictions on samba based on pc (also evident
that is not the cause based on the success listed above.

> Ah, yes, one more simple question: "Do you have XP's Personal Firewall running?"
> If so, turn the damned thing off. It's nothing but trouble.

No, its firewall is not turned on. In fact it had Norton's firewall on and I removed
that package.

Thanks for helping address this. I was watching the ethereal results
and could see (at one point) an NBNS query looking for the USERNAME.
Originally on the win2k box that has now been renamed, it was USERNAME.
I named the XP box USERNAME and created the user which was USERNAME. XP
balked at this saying I couldn't have the same username as that of the
machine and so I changed the computer's name so I didn't have to go
through changing credentials on the server. So when I saw the query for
USERNAME I figured XP was sending the login credentials and the server
was responding to it. So I changed the name of the XP box back to
USERNAME after USERNAME was already being used as the login on that box
and it didn't complain. (NICE) Now when I run the application I don't
get squat on the network.

I do have some upgrades to be done on the server. However, my next test
will be to place the shares on a 2k box and see if it successfully
connects. Based on the Ethereal results, it should not be successful.
The only way it could be is if there is some preliminary contact that
server software makes during boot that if unsuccessful, it simply will
not try again during the session.

IF THEY WOULD JUST STICK TO A SOLID OS....

If I pull any more hair out I can cancel that Brazillian wax
appointment! 8-0