Re: [SLUG] samba and xp app

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 12:38:05 EDT

Chad Perrin wrote:

> Larry Brown wrote:
>
>> PS I can't stand X Pee. I think Win2K rocks (for an M$ app) and they
>> should have left well enough alone in this case.

Sad, but true. I'm loathing the day when they rip out support (no more
service packs or hotfixes), ala Win98. That is the only reason I would
be forced to upgrade at this point.

> After the WinME debacle, they discovered that they needed to replace
> their replacement OS post-haste, and hurried with XP. XP, they
> decided, would be their unified OS line as Win2k was meant to be. To
> ensure that they didn't have the same problems with XP that they had
> with 2k, though, they produced "Professional" and "Home" variants.
> The way they did this was simple: they put together their
> "Professional" version, minus a lot of server-class functionality, and
> to make it more "user friendly" for the home user they ripped the guts
> out of it and stapled the spiritual equivalent of happy faces all over
> it. Grab Photoshop, do a little cut-and-paste, and voila, the package
> says Home instead of Professional.

Also licensing. WinXP Home requires the machine to register with
Microsoft. God help you if you change the hardware too drastically, or
you may have to "re-enable" your licensing. There is also a limit to the
number of times you can re-register with the same license number (8?)
After a while you must go purchase a NEW copy of WinXP Home edition -
because you're obviously not running it on the same machine anymore, right?

> The end result is that Professional has mildly updated feature
> interface, lots of eyecandy bloat, and a neutered little brother. 2k
> is definitely the way to go, generally speaking, for anyone that wants
> a serious workstation OS from Microsoft.

For my VMWare Windows images, I only use win2k. It's smaller, faster,
and less "crashy". If you absolutely must have the Fisher Price XP
widgets, there are themeing tools out there.. but why? ;)

Honestly, I'm always looking for tools to migrate *everything* away from
Windows. There simply is no need to put up with that madness anymore.
Until my customers start adopting Linux desktops though, I'll continue
to be forced to support Microsoft's crap as it interacts with our
managed services.

"It controls our brains and makes us crazy..."

- Ian