Re: [SLUG] getting more fonts

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 16:23:22 EDT

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> I would like every program to have access to all of my fonts. Right now, I
> find that a lot of them are disjointed and can't display a font of my choice.
> For example, in DIA, I can't use Helvetica.

Is it possible what you're seeing is a restriction like
monospaced/proportional?

> I'm not even sure if I have it.
> I've made a short list of font-related software on my machine. If there's
> anymore I should be aware of, please let me know.

Well, what problems are you seeing? "DIA can't use Helvetica." Is that
it? How do you know you have Helvetica at all? Would some
Helvetica-lookalike (e.g. Swiss) do?

> gnome-font-viewer

That should show the fonts available to Gnome, which runs in X (IIRC).

> /etc/X11/fs/config
> fslsfonts

Does X use a font server (xfs)? Otherwise, these don't matter.

> xfs

X Font Server

> xfsinfo

Try to run xfontsel.

VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
for you.  Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
head impaled upon a stick.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_