Re: [SLUG] Resizing NTFS for LINUX install

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 13:19:45 EDT

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, R.G. Mayhue wrote:

> On Friday 23 July 2004 07:49 am, wchast@utilpart.com wrote:
> >
> > I have the Novel SuSE DVD's. I would like to install it on my (company's)
> > laptop which has a 40G Hd on it.

I did the same thing, only the HD was smaller, and the laptop was mine.

> > I was going to use the usual tool (FIPS) but remembered something about
> > NTFS, and of course re-rtfm and saw that FIPS is for fat only. I saw
> > several "solutions" out there but all that I saw had what looked like
> > flashing red letters on them about re-sizing NTFS partitions. I want
> > to whack off about 15G for Linux, you guys have any recommendations?
> >
> > Indeed, is there one on the Novel DVD's? if so I am set and will proceed.

I think so, but I'd trust Qtparted more, since I can see what it's doing.

> You can use ntfsresize to do this. I have used it many times without problems.
> Just MAKE SURE the the NTFS partition is defragmented completely before using
> it.
>
> Get the newist version. You can find some info here:
>
> http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html
>
> SystemRescueCD with QtParted works really well and is great to have in your
> toolbox.
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/

Seconded.

Caveat: Qtparted (and ntfsresize) doesn't move data, so it'll only shrink
the NTFS partition down to the last file. If you just can't get one
particular file to move (and it's not important to Windows), you can try
copying that file and moving it back, to overwrite the original. I didn't
have to do this.

The built-in XP optimizer doesn't work nearly as well as Norton Speed
Disk.

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq would
instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and