RE: [SLUG] OT: 2-30Mb fiber from Verizon

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 17:39:18 EDT

Chad Perrin wrote:
> rsancz@verizon.net wrote:
>> The terminal box for the FTTP requires AC power which is provided by
>> the customer. The UPS is there to provide backup power in the event
>> of a power outage.
>>

> That's the usual use of a UPS, but I'm having a difficult time
> imagining an ISP providing one gratis for the sole purpose of letting
> end users keep their machines on 24/7. That just doesn't make any
> sense, unless this is like those toasters people used to get when
> signing up for a new insurance plan. I speculated that it might be
> there for the purpose of protecting ISP equipment because a UPS does
> more than just provide backup power -- it also acts as an effective
> filter to keep power steady, with no brownouts, blackouts, or spikes
> getting through to the computer equipment. It may be that the ISP
> wants to protect its own equipment by inducing the end user to use a
> USP to protect it. I sincerely doubt using a UPS as a battery backup
> is the only reason the ISP would give them away with service
> contracts. It just doesn't make any business sense.

Are they providing both data and dialtone over the same line? As someone
pointed out, they may have to provide the UPS in order to keep the DT
available in times of outage, particularly is you have a POTS phone
plugged into the line termination equipment. I do not have DSL and have
never really looked into it, how do they handle it with DSL, I guess the
phone part on DSL here is still analogue and so if you loose power you
still have dialtone, local loop and ringdown, over fibre the dialtone
and ringdown are digital, and since there is no wire only glass there
is not local loop in the normally understood sence. So in order to provide
it you have to use local power, and in order to be able to power the
phone and the terminal equipment in a power failure you are going to need
some sort of alternate power source.

I have done something similar with my Vonage box. It sets on a UPS with
the phone gear, when power goes out I still have DT and RD because of
the UPS powering the MTA.

As someone pointed out they are the phone provider of preference in
many areas and I suspect that in order to meet 911 issues they have
to keep a source of local loop on the end of that fibre so the phone
will work even though there is no power. I can just see the buzzards
(read low life bottom feeders) circling if there is a problem and the
UPS fails.

Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;
and twisted metal."

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com