[SLUG] Audio & artsd trouble

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 01:13:19 EDT

Hello Sluggers,

Running SuSE 8.2, KDE 3.2.3, Realplayer 8.0.3, xmms 1.2.7, Mozilla 1.6,
alsa 1.0.5-0, Soundblaster - Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370

Having trouble with several applications which play audio files. Ex:
Realplayer to listen to stuff from the web. When Realplayer opens I
receive the message, "Cannot open audio device Another application may
be using it"

For some more backgound/info: I can run Xmms and listen to the tracks
from a CD. If I list some mp3 files in the playlist immediately after
the CD tracks, when it reaches the mp3's in the play list I get the same
message.  If I close and reopen xmms to try to play just the mp3's I
get the same message. Same with random .wav files.

I run top, and/or ps and I find no other audio application running
except artsd. (Note: artsd has in the past and still seems to runaway
taking up as much as 80% of the cpu. Have to kill it to make my system
stable again) (Back at the end of May I posted an "Occasional near
freezes" to which Eben responded. Excerpt posted below)

Anyway after killing artsd the situation remains the same with
Realplayer, or with mp3's in xmms - (Cannot open audio device) Because,
I think whenever a system sound is called artsd is reopened.

Now, in the KDE control center there is a place to limit KDE how long
KDE will control the sound. ( Is this artsd?) I can set it all of the
way down to 0. The trouble is that when I watch "top" artsd does not
quit. I have to do a kill pid.

The only way I can stop artsd is by disabling my system sounds. :-(
I like the boops and beeps !! Then I can get xmms to play mp3's ands
realplayer sort of works. NOTHING, though from kmid. Looks like it is
playing but no sound comes out.

So, I know Eben you said that I might have a flaky artsd and kill it to
see what happens. Trouble is that I don't know how to kill it other
than what I have done by killing my system sounds, or replace it.
(kde3-libs ??) If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very
grateful.

Following is the excerpt from the previous message:
On Sunday 30 May 2004 11:56 pm, Eben King wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2004, Bob Stia wrote:
> > Maybe once every couple of weeks, while doing my normal routine
> > things, (using kmail or konq ) the computer starts to really slow
> > down and become unresponsive.   I then check in TOP and I find some
> > process that is really hogging cpu time.  Tonight it was artsd
> > using about 80%. (Did play a couple of games of kpoker with
> > associated sound effects)  Don't remember what it was the last
> > time. I just shut down and restarted X to get it normal again.
>
> artsd is flaky, maybe?  See if there's an update, or disable it and
> deal with one sound at a time, unless your sound card handles
> multiple simultaneous sounds (mine does, a SoundBlaster Live!).
Bob S.