[SLUG] {SPAM?} LAN communication

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 22:10:30 EDT

I'm trying to get a new Suse 9.1 box to connect with a WN98|RH8 box on my
LAN for either/or NFS or Samba. Nothing seems to work. I'm running out of
things to try.

The setup:

- DSL comes in via modem to Linksys WRT54G router.
- Router feeds:
   3 WN98 computers (wife, daughter, old machine in garage used as gateway
to RS485 sprinkler network)
   1 line to "my room" which has a sw/hub which feeds:
      a 2nd sw/hub under my desk, where the two machines-of-interest (Suse
9.1 and WN98|RH8) sit side-by-side.

WN98 on the WN98|RH8 box "sees" the other WN98 machines on the network and
accesses the internet OK.

Problem 1:

With DHCP enabled, I can ping the Suse 9.1<->WN98, and Suse 9.1<->RH8 by
address, but not by host name unless I manually go into the router, find
the assigned IP address, then plug them into the hosts files. This OK
except that at some time in the future I'll be doing something and the
addresses will be different (and by then I'll forgotten, and spend time
trying figure out what went wrong).

If Suse 9.1 and RH8 are given fixed IPs, then I don't seem to get internet
access.
    I tried putting access permission for the fixed IP in the router but
that didn't work.
    Maybe this is a DNS issue, but if so, I haven't found the answer.
    Somewhere I read the that WRT54G has a multicast problem--don't know
that is an issue here.
Problem 2:

Samba
I setup the Samba Client in Suse 9.1. When I do a browse Windows Network
(with the other machine running WN98) it pops up a "Unknown error condition
in stat: Network is unreachable" along with a msg to send in an error report...

NFS
I setup the RH8 /etc/export with a directory, /mnt/, and do
exportfs. exportfs shows the file has been exported with "<world>"
indicating that there shouldn't be a permissions problem.

  When I go to the Suse 9.1 and setup NFS Client, and do a Browse for NFS
servers, nothing shows up.
  Doing it manually with, mount 10.1.1.100:/mnt /mnt, ends with a time
out. ping 10.1.1.100 works just fine.

A year or so ago I got RH8<->WN98 and RH8<->RH8 working. It took some time
to get it sorted out. At that time I was using fixed addresses and
internet was dialup.

Any tips, suggestions, or soothing words would be appreciated.

Regards,

Don