Re: [SLUG] [semi-rant] Debian, DFSG, Gentoo and .NET

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 01:36:27 EDT

Chad Perrin wrote:

> Derek Glidden wrote:
>

>> blah blah blah
>

> For someone that claims to be sick of the Debian "politics" and so on,
> you sure do a bang-up job of politicizing everything that wanders into
> your field of view. Debian is "bad". Corba is "bad". Microsoft (other
> than .NET's CLR) is "bad".
>
> Aside from the fact that Debian works in a very helpful, painless, slick
> manner, I'd say that your complaint about wanting something that "just
> works" is no complaint against Debian. Considering that, if you want
> to, you can compile code to your heart's content in Debian as in any
> other (non-proprietorized) Linux distro, the assertion that compiling
> your own apps is the reason to go with Gentoo is not applicable. What
> do you think "apt-get source" is for?
>
> Gentoo, from what I understand, has a great mechanism for compilation of
> OS and application code. That's wonderful. If you want to compile
> everything all the time, Gentoo might be the way to go for you. If you
> don't, it may not.
>
> I've seen/heard people complain about Debian's dedication to keeping its
> core software archives free as though it limits users in any way. The
> irony, of course, is that it doesn't. There are non-free apt
> repositories all over the place. In fact, debian.org maintains non-free
> archives comparable to those non-free software archives maintained by
> many other major distros. All you have to do to access them is copy a
> couple of lines in your sources.list and add "non-free" to the text of
> it. Voila. You can now install non-free packages.
>
> All Debian does is make damn sure that you have to knowingly choose to
> use non-free packages in order to end up with them. I don't see what's
> wrong with that.
>
> Some people like the way RedHat works (now Fedora and RHEL). Some
> prefer SuSE. There are even those that like Lindows/Linspire. When you
> really get into the guts of the Linux community, you tend to run up
> against hardcore devotees of Debian, Slackware, and Gentoo, and if you
> really want to get hairy there's the "roll your own" fanatics. Each has
> its benefits. Each has its detriments. Personally, I don't want to get
> locked into having to sit around for three days just to install an OS.
> You're welcome to it. I like Debian.
>
> I even like Debian's politics, but I'm not picking a fight over it.

Holy crap. I have no idea how this ended up sent to the list five times. I
only clicked "send" once. Please don't crucify me. In fact, when I clicked
send was a good 7.5 hours before I received five copies of this in my inbox.

--
Chad Perrin (apotheon .com .net .org)
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/sig-block.html