Re: [SLUG] 2.6.n kernel questions

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 21:12:20 EDT

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> I run 2.4.26, the current Slackware kernel. What is the current
> 2.6.n kernel status?

Take your favorite FTP client to
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ . There's a file
LATEST-IS-2.6.7 .

> It is written very differently,

Not very differently, but differently enough that it breaks lots of
things.

> and no previous driver will work,

Few of them will.

> how is the development of all of the drivers we need coming along?

I'm running SuSE 9.1 + kernel 2.6.7 on my laptop (Thinkpad T40), and made
its wireless adapter (Intel Pro/Wireless 2100) work with the driver at
http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/ . So it does what I need.

Well, I was running fine until I broke it. Now the SuSE-blessed kernel
boots fine, but I can't yet compile one that works (and I have in the
past).

> Are the drivers still stored as gziped object files?

Well, they become object files after you compile the source, and I suppose
you could gzip them. Oddly, they're named *.ko not *.o .

> Can they still be installed and removed from the running kernel etc?

Yes. They act just as before.

> I don't want tt experiment, I want to change over when everything is
> ready for me. I create more than enough grief for my self without
> experimenting.

That's what an additional partition is for.

Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!