Re: [SLUG] Modem features

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 10:51:40 EDT

Believe this or not but damage to electrical apparatus is NOT as extensive in
Florida as it is in a dry climate like Arizona even though Florida has way
way more lightning strikes.

Why?

Simple Florida is wet salt sand; Arizona is dry sandie clay.

Significance, in Florida lightning is dispersed easily, in Arizona there is no
dispersion as dry sandie clay makes an excellent insulator causing lighting
to follow any metal path causing a higher degree of damage.

Note: If you are in a high electrical discharge area in either location you
will be toasted just as well done which doesn't do much for one bear
consumption ability.

Frank