[SLUG] XFS

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 23:55:31 EDT

Hello all...

I just switched over to XFS a couple of months ago, and my system has actually
de-stabilized. I get kernel oopses all the time, and I know it's related to
the filesystem. I didn't check the integrity of the disk before I put the XFS
on it, so I'm sure that's part of it.

So...I'm going to move everything again to a different portion of my disk
(after doing a thorough check of it first), and then redo everything. I found
that there are some nifty tools related to repairing XFS partitions, but they
can't seem to fix everything. I have, for instance, some things
in /lost+found to sort out what they are...

I guess my question is, I don't understand exactly journaling filesystems. I
thought that they would save me this kind of trouble. I wonder if I set up
XFS the "right" way. I don't know if I want the journal to be on the same
disk, or on another, or any of the other options that are available to me.

I also don't know if I'm dealing with bugs in the XFS code, which is another
thing. I'm using kernel 2.4.26...

Russell

--
Linux -- the OS for the Renaissance Man