[SLUG] Thanks for the Feedback!

From: Meyer, David R (David.Meyer07@ca.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 11:45:16 EDT

Good Morning Sluggers,

First of all, I wanted to thank all of you for your feedback. It is
extremely valuable for me to hear all you said. This is what I took
away (in a nutshell) from all of your comments:

1. As a company, CA needs to earn the trust of the Open Source
community, especially when you look at some things in our past.

2. CA needs to do a better job of getting out the message as to all
we're involved in, and why we're involved in it.

Now I know there is more, but in short, I heard all you said and took it
all to heart. I can not argue with much of what was said. CA has an
interesting past and I'll not argue that. But we're changing...and
we're changing for the better.

To start with, I'd like to introduce all of you to our new Open Source
Website where you can see every Open Source project CA is involved in.
You can find it at http://www.ca.com/opensource. There are many
projects that we are involved in (usually including some major financial
support as well as dedicated engineering talent) that might be of
interest to you, and perhaps you might want to get involved with as
well.

Next, I'd like to mention that CA was one of the founding members of the
Open Source Development Lab, and we remain on their Board of Directors
to this day.

Third, Bruce Perens has been working with CA about all that we are
involved in, including our CA-TOSL (CA Trusted Open Source License). We
value his, and other respected community leaders opinions and
experience.

Fourth, the leadership at CA with regards to Linux and Open Source is
second to none. Our SVP, Sam Greenblatt is an Open Source believer as
is our SVP for Development, Mark Barrenechea. I know them both, and
they believe in the real value that Open Source brings to software.
This has not come easy, because as was pointed out to me, CA has never
done business this way before, and there are many who are just learning
about this new model. But as they learn they are coming around. For
what it is worth, we are moving chunks of our company to the Linux
Desktop, and more are sure to follow. This too is a significant change.

Having said all of that, I know that someone will find fault with that
which I have said. Please understand this is not an attempt to "sell
CA" to you, or argue with what you have said. I asked, and you all
kindly responded. This is only an attempt to show that we have been
working on this, and we're trying to do it the right way. I hope that
time will show that CA is sincere in what we are doing, and that we
believe in Open Source. In short, I hope that over time we will earn
the respect and trust of the Open Source community.

Thank you all again for your feedback. It is often hard to see the
other side when you're stuck in the middle, but that is why I value the
input of the SLUG membership.

Have a great day all,

Dave