Re: [SLUG] The Storm

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 18:11:08 EDT

That is easy to beat.

I remember setting the boot loader on an * bit computer by grounding the
various Nan gates and cycling through the first 15 instruction to start a
Teletype paper tape reader th input the operating system ventage mid 50's

By the way does anyone recall why a 1 & 0 is called a bit and there are 8 bits
to a bite?

Simple on the old Teletypes the reader fingers looked like drill bits and the
tapes were 8 bits wide 3 bits reader track fader holes and then 5 bits. Each
time the Teletype inputed a word it sounded and acted like it was taking a
bite of tape.

PS. I still have a copy of the old operating system.

Frank