Re: [SLUG] New System

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 02:31:04 EDT

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Bob Stia wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 August 2004 07:26 pm, Eben King wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Bob Stia wrote:
> >
> > Unless you need mobility, I'd skip USB and go for regular old IDE.

> Welll....main reason I am thinking the USB hard drive is that I already
> have a dual boot with dual hardrives and have never had an acceptable
> back up plan. Figured I could store my system to transfer my stuff and
> then use the USB for backups on both computers and store a lot of data
> on it that is not accessed continually. That way each computer would
> have only one hardrive and access to the USB. Don't know - Still
> thinking about it.The new computer would be strictly Linux ( SuSE 9.2?
> 10.0?)

Well, if you can deal with backups over the LAN instead of to a local hard
drive, ATAPI drives might still be a good idea. You can script such
backups (as opposed to physically attaching a USB hard drive), and
incremental backups don't involve much data.

As a reference point, I used to get over 30 MB/s between ordinary hard
drives (that rate is cut in half if they're on the same IDE cable).

> > > Want a pretty decent video card, but not one of those
> > > super(expensive) ones. 3D of course. (Maybe someday Linux will
> > > have games) Kind of afraid of the nvidia cards. Hear all of the
> > > horror stories with changing drivers everytime you do something to
> > > your system. (comments?)
> >
> > Bah. I purposely didn't get ATI for the VCR/computer as I might one
> > day run Linux on it, and ATI and Linux don't get along. Especially
> > the bit about "display the TV tuner's output on an attached TV". ATI
> > and nvidia are the two biggies, AFAIK. Who is actually decent?
>
> Have seen both pro & con on both ATI & Nvidia on the lists. Some guys
> say the ATI is a piece of cake on SuSE, supported or not and swear by
> their cards. Who knows. Seems you are biased towards the Nvidia. Which
> card would you reccomend?

It's just that I spent a few weeks trying to get TV display to work with
an ATI All-in-Wonder card, untimately failing and using Redmondware. ATI
has threatened Linux developers with the DMCA (or so I heard), so little
work has been done toward that aspect of ATI cards. Their ordinary cards
may be fine, but I haven't looked for any. Me, I tend to upgrade video
cards when one lets out the magic smoke.

The AIW eventually died (lightning, I think), and then I had a wider
choice of products to replace it; but when I first built that machine (a
PVR), there were only a handful of choices.

Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"