Re: [SLUG] tcwo

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 14:55:46 EDT

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:24:44 +0000, Jeff <jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 August 2004 01:26 pm, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> > >I started not to get back into this but the parasites tried to break into
> > > my van yesterday and I am sorry but the longer I live the less I am
> > > willing to put up with the human trash that floats around and tries to
> > > make a easy time off of others.
> >
> > Here in real life, as opposed to video games, movies, and TV shows,
> > someone you kill stays dead. If you shoot the wrong one, even the most
> > hearfelt "I'm sorry" won't bring him back to life. I do not consider
> > myself qualified to be instant judge and jury, and I say this as someone
> > who was a legally-armed cab and limo driver in high-crime Baltimore but
> > stopped carrying a gun after some personal reflection.

That is all fine and dandy but you go down there in that disaster area and try
to tell that to those poor people, they are tired beat and having to deal with
enough other problems without having to deal with human rif-raf trying to take
what little they have left. You did not have to drive into Baltimore,
but you choose
to, you took the proper steps to try to insure that you were able to do your job
with a minimum of interference. These people just had the world get torn apart
around them and now they have to fend of bottom feeders.

With regards to being dead, the bottom feeders are armed and dangerous too,
I have been involved in several disaster recoveries (earth quakes, tornados and
hurricanes) and the worse part was always dealing with the people who were
ready to take advantage of the people in the disaster area, does not matter what
it is, the full force of the law should come down on their heads with
great speed,
these poeple should not have to deal with the threat of looter and scam artest.

There is not enough public safety people to go around even though there are
people from all over the country there, they are still spread thin and many of
them are involved in search and rescue along with law enforcement. I regret
the use of words, but still stand by my position that the response to these
people needs to be fast and terrible only then will they underestand that they
need to go find some other form of income that is not sucking off of the misery
of others.

> Plus the "shoot first, ask questions later" method isn't really effective.
> Horse thieves used to be hanged if caught. It didn't cut down on horse
> stealing enough to even notice. The only thing positive that came out of that
> was that the ones that were caught never stole another horse.

In a disaster situation where there is not much law to be had that is about
the only way to keep your life and property (what may remain of it) around
you.

Once public order is re-established then things can return to civil
law enforcement.
Until that time the citizenry does not have many options, food is
scarce, there is
no place to put the bad guys even if you caught one, The mentality of
these people
is that it is their "right" to go in and help them selves to what they
can. Used to
be they at least acted like they were in trouble now, when you catch them they
act like you are violating their civil rights. Again I have been there
done that and
got the tee shirt with the bullet holes. I used to think like you
folks do, but exposure
to homo-criminalis has I guess ruined me.

I am sorry that I think like this but it has been too many years of
getting knocked
down and getting up hoping to see a bit of humanity in some of these people, but
nada, zero, nothing, so I give up.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;