Re: [SLUG] Sarasota Meeting

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 10:54:30 EDT

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:00:42 -0400 (EDT), mark@bish.net <mark@bish.net> wrote:

> Now, this could be cool.
>
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Robert Snyder wrote:
>
> > I would like to mention that I can do a small lecture on powerpc
> > emulation and macintosh emulation on x86 platform.
> >
> > Thing I can cover....
> >
> > Basilisk II 68k macintosh emulation
> > SheepShaver PowerPC macintosh Emulation (OS 7.5.5 - 9.0) Classic Mac OS
> > PearPC PowerPC emulation enviroment ( PPC Linux and OSX , but no
> > classic support).
> >
> > while i cant make it to this meeting i should be able to make the next one

What I will get started on is prepping this machine for next months
meeting and I will bring this machine in so there are working examples
of all 3 emulators. Also if you would like while on the topic on
emulation I have Speed test numbers pitting Virtual PC for windows
2004 (MS build with no offical linux support ) vs VMware 4.5 Both
running slack 10. I am a big emulation nut.

Also if ther time I would like to talk about Qemu a jack of all trades
emulator that is open source that already does some amazing things but
really needs to get the word out to help bring more open source
developers to it.
it is a multiple cpu core emulator meaning
Qemu emulates
PPC
X86
ARM
Sparc
with User Mode emulation ( meaning it can run linux binaries ment for
those processors) and OS level emulation for X86 and currently working
the bugs out of PPC.

What is impressive is the list of cpus that qemu will run off of.
x86 OK
PowerPC OK
Alpha Testing
Sparc32 Testing
ARM Testing
S390 Testing
Sparc64 Dev only
ia64 Dev only
m68k Dev only

I dont know how many people will be interested in emulation and
virutalzation software. But I personally find it a neat subject.