[SLUG] Apache, Samba, The User and Everything

From: craig@ctrust.com
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 16:25:15 EDT

I've just finished a solution to a request by out
webmonkey, and was wondering what others are doing.

Request: Allow web monkey access to live web site so
it may be updated without disturbing the BOFH.

Requirements:
1. Allow web monkey and admin only to edit web site
live.
2. Avoid requirement to go back after monkey uploads
and change permissions.
3. Secure the site so outsiders and unauthorized
users don't get to play.
4. Make it easy for web monkey to find files.
5. NO FTP!!!

Solution:
Configure Samba with a share to that web directory.
Change permissions to allow read, write and modify to
the directory. Lock Samba share down to two users who
may access the share. Add the users who can access
the directory to the group that apache is part of.

Added Stuff: Authorized users may either browse (map
drive) to the samba share, and edit the files, create
directories, etc. Authorized users may also SCP
(WinSCP) their files and directory trees to the web
server without messing up all the permissions.

I'm sure there are other options, and I would like to
hear what others are doing. Afterall, I'm not the
only one in the world who has had the same request.