Re: [SLUG] Apache, Samba, The User and Everything

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 13:07:37 EDT

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Steve Szmidt wrote:

> On Friday 20 August 2004 09:18 am, Levi Bard wrote:
> >
> > I could never get Frontpage to publish using anything except (BROKEN!)
> > frontpage server extensions.
>
> Last time I added Frontpage to Apache (a number of years ago) it toasted
> security on that Linux box. The way I discovered it was that all of a sudden
> one of the web developers login name owned the home directory instead of
> root. Plus some other dir.
>
> The developer was not even very computer literate, he was just learning
> Frontpage.
>
> That was the last time I installed Frontpage... It's possible it's better now,
> though I don't see what motivation microsoft has to make it work better.

Well, they keep changing it (1) to make it harder for others to be able to
read its file format(s); and (2) so they can say "New! Different!".
"Different" is objective; "better" is subjective.

VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
for you.  Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
head impaled upon a stick.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_