Re: [SLUG] Dual boot help

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 19:34:50 EDT

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:27:39 -0400 (EDT), Eben King
<eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> I can be there if you come and get me (Riverview, can't drive). I did a
> similar thing (installed Linux from the Novell DVD onto a formerly XP-only
> machine). Just know that there will be a LILO/GRUB prompt before XP
> begins loading. Maybe you can get this not to appear, and have the
> machine only load Linux if you're holding down a magic key, but I don't
> know how.

The computer is a Toshiba Laptop. I have no problem with LILO/GRUB prompt.
Indeed the GRUB splash screen on a RedHat machine I work with always impresses
people, not sure why.

> What I did:
>
> Use a disk optimizer in XP that'll move the data to the left/top/low end.
> Reboot from the "System Recovery CD". Back up /dev/hda1 over the LAN in
> case you screw up. Use qtparted to shrink the partition from the other
> end. Reboot from the Novell DVD. During installation, add / (reiserfs),
> swap, /usr (reiserfs). / and /usr will be approximately equally used, at
> least with my installation. If you're squeezed for space, make it / and
> swap. Swap isn't really vital for lightly-loaded machines with lots of
> RAM; see

The laptop is a Satellite something or other, it is a 1.2 Ghz machine it has
a 38G Hd and 512M of ram. I think it will work. I have run Knoppix and some
of the other bootable CD's on it.

> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=slrnci4q5i.2pp.ylee%40pobox.com
>
> [eben@pc eben]$ free
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 775172 734988 40184 0 65212 458472
> -/+ buffers/cache: 211304 563868
> Swap: 401616 94880 306736
> [eben@pc eben]$ uptime
> 5:20pm up 1 day, 1:00, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.07
>
> So with a bit over a day of uptime (afternoon thunderstorms, crappy UPS,
> pre-emptive shutdown), it's used <95M swap, and that's with VMware using
> >500M.
>
> Choose LILO as the bootloader (because I know LILO; GRUB would also work).
> Install "minimal graphical". Reboot. Enjoy SuSE 9.1.
>
> --
> -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
>
> Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

Perhaps we can meet in Riverview, I can bring the laptop with me and we can go
through it. I need to see exactly how this week is going to pan out.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;