[SLUG] Slow connection

From: Felix Boecker (3.14159265359@mad.scientist.com)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 21:03:02 EDT

alright, I'm having a rather bizarre problem to which I have found no
solution as of yet.

when h'm at home, I connect through a broadband connection and web pages
load (in accordance with what anyone would expect from broadband
Internet) reasonably fast.

at school, however (using the same setup), web pages load terribly slow.
A dial-up connection would be faster.

I'm running Suse 9.1, it's a wired 10/100 Ethernet card (a build-in of
my IBM A31) and the network here requires authorization (a simple web
logon that sets a cookie for 12 hours or so). What strikes me is that
any windoze or mac client doesn't have this problem. It has always been
me running linux (I've had the same problem running FC1, FC2 and Onebase
in the past). I have even tried disabling the firewall, without any
positive results.

Does anyone know where the problem might be?

Thanks!

Felix