Re: [SLUG] Novel SuSE Video irritant

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 01:20:23 EDT

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:45:29 -0400 (EDT), Eben King
<eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > One by one, things are getting fixed, the only thing right now that is a
> > recurrent issue is with the video.
> >
> > When I set the system up it was set at 800 X 600, the screen is a 1024
> > X 768. So when it asked me if I wanted to set a different video res I did
> > so. I also selected LCD as it had selected VESA. I then proceeded to
> > step through the process to the point where it asked to test the screen.
>
> Once I log into X and start KDE, I can run K -> Control Center ->
> Peripherals -> Display. Under the "Size & Orientation" tab, there's
> "Screen Size". Somewhere in the process of changing it I'll have to
> supply the root password, I'm sure.
>
> Failing that, you could always sic your favorite editor on
> /etc/X11/XF86Config:
>
> Section "Modes"
> Identifier "Modes[0]"
> Modeline "1024x768" 61.89 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 794
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> DefaultDepth 16
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 16
> Modes "1024x768"
> EndSubSection
> Device "Device[0]"
> Identifier "Screen[0]"
> Monitor "Monitor[0]"
> EndSection
>
> You won't be able to copy my mode definition (probably), but maybe there's
> one in yours you could hijack.
>
> Can't see what good it would do me to have multiple modes defined, when
> (a) LCDs look rather bad in other modes; and (b) I have no keypad to
> switch easily among them.
>
> --

I figured that I was going to have to do such a thing. I will give it
a shot tomorrow
have been working on radio system coverage tool and finally got it to
where it is
putting a symbol on a map which can be clicked on to show the Rf environment
(RX signal level, TX Power, and a bunch of other numbers depending on the type
of radio service) as I drive down the road. Up until now I had to post
process the
data in order to map it.

--
Chuck Hast