Re: [SLUG] gmail

From: Tevfik Yücek (tevfik.yucek@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 22:27:49 EDT

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:57:24 -0400, Paul M Foster
<paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 08:01:51PM -0400, chris lee wrote:
>
> > i got 6 as well, if nobody else needs one im going to start passing
> > them out to other groups im in.
> >

> I've been tempted to ask for one of these gmail accounts. Here are the
> only reasons I can think of to have one:
>
> 1) It's free. (Of course, the mumps is free too, but I've had them and
> don't want them again.)
>
> 2) You can view your mail through your browser. (Of course, that appears
> to be the _only_ way to view your gmail mail.)
>
> 3) It's a huge amount of storage. (Of course, I've already got almost
> that much email stored on my system already, and no upper limit on its
> expansion.)
>
> 4) It shows other related emails along with your message, all thread-y
> like. (Of course, mutt does that, too. Ditto Pine and a variety of
> others.)
>
> 5) It's kewl. (Of course, so are earrings through your eyebrows, but I
> don't really want those either.)
>
> Any other reasons to have a gmail account that I'm not aware of?
>
> Paul

Here are the reasons for not using gmail:

1- You can not see the headers of the e-mails (am I correct?)
2- You can not break the threads. I belive you can do this with mutt.
3- When replying, you can not change the headers ( mail ID etc.)
4- You can not delete *only* the attachements
4- You can not save drafts.
5- You can not edit the e-mails and save
6- You can not
7- You can not use your favorite editor :(
8- You dont know what to do when you fill-up the 1000MB space
9- You can do filtering much better in your way (like in Mutt).
10- You have to stick with browser (like you said).

Here are the ones to use it
1- It has lots of space for *not so important* messages
2- It is fast, really!
3- You dont have to wory about backing-up your e-mail, moving it
around, dealing with rc files, like procmail, sendmail, fetchmail,
spam stuff etc...
4 - You can invite your friends to it and gain popularity ;)
5- It has spell checker (well my vim has too).
6- I can not get as much e-mail accounts as I like from the school account.
7- It has a very good search.. I really like it. I usually forget
where I've saved the messages.

Anything else?

These are some of my points and It will be different for different
persons. Again a Turkish proverb "Every brave (person) has a different
way of eating yoghurt";).

Tevfik

--
"If you really want something in this life, you have to work for it.
Now, quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers..."