[SLUG] Re: making a usb device persist longer -- who had the USB problem?

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 14:30:19 EDT

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 13:56, Levi Bard wrote:
> You know you've created at least 3x the traffic and distraction
> complaining about this than would have occurred had you let it pass.

I don't think it was 3x, but I've said my peace.

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 14:01, Eric Jahn wrote:
> I had the USB problem which has absolutely nothing to do with
> wardriving (which BTW works fine for me on my laptop).

That was the point of my e-mails exactly.

> My USB device seems to be timing out very quickly if not in use.
> I use Debian Sid with devfsd and also recently tried also loading udev
> (no change in timeout length).

I only have one Debian setup, but it's Sarge (specifically, it's
Xandros Release 2 OCE). So it's kernel 2.4.

But I've had the same issue with [Red Hat] CL4.0 (Fedora Core 2)
running kernel 2.6. I can't seem to find the tuning parameter either,
but I haven't been able to find it in /proc/bus/usb.

Didn't have this problem with CL3.x (Red Hat Linux 9, Fedora Core 1),
both running kernel 2.4, so it seems to be a defaults change in kernel
2.6. That might be the wrong assumption though.

> When I plug in the USB sync cable, my visor module is correctly
> loaded according to /var/log/messages and I can run pilot-xfer to
> back up my pilot and until a week ago used to be able to use Kpilot
> to sync, but can't anymore because the /dev/ttyUSB1 device times out
> very quickly and kpilot can't connect to it. I apt-getted KDE 3.3
> and since then Kpilot doesn't sync and perhaps relatedly my USB device
> doesn't stay connected.

I had the same problem with gpilotd too. I just switched back to
using serial (my Kyocera 7135's cradle has connectors for both).

> Thanks!

Sorry I wasn't much help and this isn't much more than a "me too"
message.

--
Compatibility and update matrix of Red Hat(R) distributions:
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-3.html
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.                         b.j.smith at ieee.org