Re: [SLUG] Re: Print from Simply Mepis

From: Robin \ (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 08:13:53 EDT

>>Anyone know MEPIS? Haven't heard from Warren on this yet . . . also,
>>cannot move a file from the desktop to the floppy - even as root.
>>

>Pete, please post your /etc/fstab file for us to look at. BTW, if you
>distract Warren, he'll never get time to improve Mepis, because I think he's
>the only developer.

Funny thing is, I was talking with Warren a couple of days ago and he
was having trouble duplicating Pete's problems. Yes, he knows who Pete
is. :)

Warren takes bug reports very seriously (and very personally), even if
he's sometimes slow at replying to email. And no, he's no longer a
one-man show. He has several local professional developers working with
now, along with a growing group of volunteers around the world --
including several artists who have volunteered to make MEPIS screens
more attractive.

Right now Warren's major personal things are improving the KDE "add
user" function and coming up with a GUI utility that'll allow you to
choose three-button mouse emulation through the KDE control panel. These
are patches he'll submit to KDE once he's satisfied that they work
properly.

Of course, if Eric and others help Pete, Warren will be grateful for any
improvements fed back to HIM; he's the most "open source" of the
commercial Debian-offshoot developers; he learned from the sad
experience of Xandros, which spent endless time/money developing a
proprietary file browser to replace Konqueror that, frankly, isn't as
good as Konq has become in KDE 3.x.

So don't worry about distracting Warren. He loves to be distracted by
problems -- and to solve them. And to release the solutions. He realizes
that it's better to be part of a community of developers than to be a
one-man proprietary show, and he has no ambition to become Michael
Roberston-rich or to have MEPIS acquired by BigCo for $ 1 billion, just
to slowly build a small Linux distro company that's responsive to users,
earns a modest living for a small group of full-time employees, and
feeds at least some money to the freelancers/volunteers who most
consistently help with MEPIS.

- Robin