[SLUG] Re: Lotus notes on different versions of Linux.

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 11:05:46 EDT

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 10:29, Mark Banschbach wrote:
> I was wondering how many folks might have had
> experiences installing a Notes Client on different
> versions of Linux.
> I know that the IBM site has some information about
> using the Notes client on Red Hat with wine. Also
> another site I found with information on Notes
> installs using cross over office.
> Both on RH.

WINE is the underlying theme. Most people I know are running the Notes
Client for Windows under WINE. At first, years ago, it was just the
Win16 client. But the Win32 client has worked for people for some time
with some hacking.

Now CodeWeaver's supports Notes under WINE to a limited extent.

> Anything else ? Possibly Debian ?

It's not really a distro, but the WINE package. WINE runs on other
platforms as well. It's not tied into the kernel, but is 100%
user-spaced (unlike "virtual machines"). So it'll run on just about any
distro of Linux, but some other platforms as well.

-- Bryan

<marketing/political discussion>
P.S. You know IBM will get serious about Linux on the desktop when they
start either porting to Linux, or releasing the source code of, various
desktop applications. For now, HP seems to be more of a Freedomware
partner for Linux on the desktop than IBM. IBM has its agenda. I don't
question it.

But don't be surprised if and when it comes to an AIX v. Linux issue,
they will break signed agreements with various parties in Linux as
quickly as they did SCO. I don't like SCO, and are far worse than IBM,
but if anyone still thinks IBM was innocent -- you need to read up on
the full details. IBM can play the bully, as it does it well.

HP is feeling it right now as they sell a powerful Linux/x86-64 solution
in the Proliant DL585 (Quad-Opteron, 2xAMD8131) that competes very well
in the Power4/AIX space. IBM's reservations and actions scare me to
death sometimes. Although I do have to give them kudos on the whole
indemnification issue with SCO (they've played that good, very pro-GPL).
</marketing/political discussion>

--
Compatibility and update matrix of Red Hat(R) distributions:
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-3.html
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.                         b.j.smith at ieee.org