[SLUG] 2.4 kernel /proc/ksyms = 2.6 kernel /proc/???

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 12:39:46 EDT

- From kernel 2.4 to 2.6, where did /proc/ksyms go? I'm running Fedora Core 2
w/2.6.8-1.521 via apt-get.

I'm having an issue with VMware 3.2.1. No matter what I do, the script
insists I don't have either "linux", "asm", or "net" subdirectories
under/usr/src/linux/include but it's there. Any ideas? Should I hack the
vmware-config.pl file to look elsewhere in /proc, but where? I've already
looked at these:
http://www.desktop-linux.net/vmware.htm
ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/vmware/

Here's what happens:
[root@baglady proc]# vmware-config.pl
Making sure VMware Workstation's services are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor [ OK ]
   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0 [ OK ]
   DHCP server on /dev/vmnet1 [ OK ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 [ OK ]
   DHCP server on /dev/vmnet2 [ OK ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet2 [ OK ]
   DHCP server on /dev/vmnet8 [ OK ]
   NAT networking on /dev/vmnet8 [ OK ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 [ OK ]
   Virtual ethernet [ OK ]

grep: /proc/ksyms: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/ksyms: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/ksyms: No such file or directory
Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your
running kernel. Do you want this script to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

Argument "gcc (GCC) 3" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=)
at /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl line 1493, <STDIN> line 1.
What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is an existing directory, but it does not
contain at least one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as expected.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521/build/include

The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same
address space size as your running kernel.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

/mario