[SLUG] no prompt

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 15:50:00 EDT

I was playing around with my system settings and somehow accidentally made it
so that when I open up a Gnome-Terminal or Konsole session I get no bash
prompt (just an unblinking white prompt square) as either root or as a normal
user and get the message "there was an error creating the child process for
this terminal". I have mingetty installed, but I still think it has
something to do with not being able to propagate an X tty session. Also,
when I click on application icons requiring root permission to run (in gnome
or kde and as root or a normal user) I get messages like "make sure su is in
your path" and "failed to fork new process". I have sudo installed also.
Maybe it has nothing to do with tty and has something to do with not being
able to fork processes, but user applications work great, and they fork
processes all the time. In fact, everything works great and as normal but
when I try to run root-permission required applications or open up a new
terminal (with or without root privileges). When I open up a non X session
on, say tty4, everything works as normal. Has anyone run into this before?
I'm running Debian Sid. Thanks!

--
Eric J