Re: [SLUG] Xchat for windows no longer free!!!

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 01:39:08 EDT

Knowles Burrell wrote:

> I tried it out but went back to trillian after a day of usage. Granted
> I only went back to trillian because I paid for it.

(above is in reference to Gaim)

I have no idea how anyone can stand Trillian after trying Gaim. I absolutely
loathed Trillian, and the only reason I ever used was (the first time) because I
wanted to try it out, and (the second time) because it was barely preferable to
using the MSN Messenger client when I had need of access to that IM protocol.
When I discovered Gaim, I did a little dance of glee after only a few hours of
use, finding it nigh infinitely better than Trillian, and haven't looked back
since. Gaim has all the best qualities that the older versions (before they got
horribly munged up) of the ICQ native client and the DeadAIM modified AIM client
had, and then some. It also doesn't produce memory leaks because of the Yahoo
protocol, like Trillian does, and doesn't crash and stop working every time MSN
updates their Messenger protocol (which was almost weekly for a while last year).

Ahem. My apologies for the ramble. I'm definitely a fan of Gaim, and not of
Trillian. For the last few months, though, I haven't even used Gaim on Windows
-- I've been using it pretty much exclusively on Linux.

--
Chad Perrin (apotheon .com .net .org)
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/sig-block.html