[SLUG] pseudo block device piping to smb or nfs -- socket files

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 18:05:03 EDT

Mario Lombardo wrote:
> Is there a way to create a pseudo block device piping to a real
> network file system via SMB or NFS?

NFS works by direct inode reference, so this is impossible. It _could_
be possible to do this with Samba, but I'd have to think how it might be
possible. It would definitely have to be done at the Linux kernel level
-- using some modifications of the VFS and the smbfs support.

Fortunately, you _could_ create a local socket file and that would
stream data to/from a remote socket port. This is actually trival once
you do it. It all depends if the program sees that the file is a
"socket" and refuses to connect to it.

> I'm trying to circumvent the limitations of Tolisgroup's proprietary
> BRU Desktop 17.0 backup program that backs up only locally attached
> devices.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but consider moving
away from BRU then. It's just a glorified implementation of GNU Tar the
last time I checked.

--
Compatibility and update matrix of Red Hat(R) distributions:
http://www.vaporwarelabs.com/files/temp/RH-Distribution-FAQ-3.html
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.                         b.j.smith at ieee.org