[SLUG] Gnome Impressions

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 21:02:00 EDT

Hello all...

I just installed debian's "sarge" and there's a broken package that kept
me from installing my normal kde stuff. So...I decided to install Gnome.
Funny thing about Gnome. I never liked it before. It seemed klunky, bad
graphics, lacked a lot of polish. It missed applications, seemed like a
mishmash of other people's stuff passed off as their own.

But...I needed my graphical apps. I probably could have installed the
other window managers and so on, but hey, I thought I try the other side
of the fence, see what it's like. I like the complete desktop
envirmonment.

Install I did. "apt-get install gnome"

Gee...this is like the Mac OS! It's got the little title bar at the top,
along with the little icon in the top right corner that you can select
among the various applications that you have up and running. Kwite a
kontrast with kde, and their Windows idiom, start menu, apps in a
taskbar across the bottom. Naturally the default gnome stuff has the
apps at the bottom, too, but somehow this is different. Even the clock
in the top right corner and volume control reminds of the Mac OS. I
guess the nautilus people did their job well. I'm struck also by the
double click of an app that causes that little square to go rapidly out
from the icon to tell you that you did something.

As far as the polish goes, I think I might have to give it Gnome over
kde...I like the icons better, though they aren't as colorful. The kde
icons are cartoonish by comparison, but then again, I like the extra
colors. The system integration I think is there, yet it is missing as
well. I miss the klipper, which keeps the last 10 or so cut/paste
operations. Is there an equivalent in gnome?

I'm using Evolution as the mail client. I think it's funny to find a MS
Outlook clone living in a Mac OS clone. It's also not as colorful. The
fonts are easy to read, but the various colors are simply monochrome...I
kinda miss kmail. I'm not sure how I feel about Evolution. I know I
don't feel like I have as much control, since I can't turn off html
emails completely. I can only prevent the images from being downloaded
with the text. In kmail, I can turn it all off, and receive text only.

As for the terminal, I'm using the gnome terminal. I've always used it,
even in kde land. I like that the terminal is a default icon at the top
left next to the filebrowser.

Gnome seems 'heavier' than kde, too, for some reason. Mozilla and its
companion Epiphany do their jobs, but there's something about konqueror
I like, too. Gnome isn't unreasonably slow, and neither is kde...but kde
just seems lighter. Hmmm...

Last thing is about the menu. Much like the Apple menu in Mac OS, gnome
has that little foot, and you click on it and then menu items are there.
This menu has its own categories, and then "Debian Menu" at the bottom.
I don't like how the gnome stuff is separated from the rest of the OS. I
like how kde integrates things in its menu no matter what the apps are.
The kde menus could stand a bit more organization, but that's a tough
job, all those various things in there like that.

So there ya go. My little review.

Russell