[SLUG] New Earthlink SMTP Procedures

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 00:12:21 EDT

I've got an Earthlink dial-up account at the office, and they're moving
to SASL authorization instead of in-the-clear passwords. The new server
they want you to use is smtpauth.earthlink.net.

I'm using Mepis 200310, and have installed the postfix-tls package,
which provide postfix with SASL and TLS authorization, according to the
docs. The problem is that, having tweaked the config files for postfix,
I can't seem to authorize with Earthlink. Unfortunately 1) Earthlink
doesn't support Linux, and 2) Postfix (unlike sendmail or exim) doesn't
provide a way of looking at the realtime dialog with the SMTP server.

Does anyone else have a similar configuration and know how to set it up?

Paul