Re: [SLUG] New Earthlink SMTP Procedures

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 11:45:04 EDT

I'm using postfix to relay all my mail through smtpauth.earthlink.net,
maybe I can add some info.

Levi Bard said:
> In /etc/postfix/main.cf:
> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

Agreed, that is exactly what I have.

> In /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd, you need an entry like:
> earthlink.net paulf:paulfspasswd

Acutally, I think Earthlink wants you to use your complete email address,
instead of just username, which is how I have it set up. Also, I have the
FQDN of the SMTP server in there. I think /etc/postfix/sasl/sasl_passwd
should be:

smtpauth.earthlink.net paulf@earthlink.net:paulfspasswd

> And then don't forget to hash sasl_passwd:
> postmap hash:sasl_passwd
>
> One thing I'm not sure about - I don't know if, in sasl_passwd, you
> need earthlink.net as the hostname (since your mail's being routed
> that way), or if you need to specify a wildcard instead to cover all
> destinations.
>
> Also, did you get sasl libraries in addition to postfix-tls? I have:
> ii libsasl-digest 1.5.27-3 DIGEST-MD5 module for SASL
> ii libsasl-gssapi 1.5.24-15 Pluggable Authentication Modules for
> SASL
> ii libsasl-module 1.5.27-3 Basic Pluggable Authentication
> Modules for SASL
> ii libsasl2 2.1.2-2 Authentication abstraction library.
> ii libsasl7 1.5.27-3 Authentication abstraction library.

Here are the sasl packages I have installed:

[root@www sasl]# rpm -qa | grep sasl
cyrus-sasl-2.1.15-10mdk
libsasl2-2.1.15-10mdk
libsasl2-plug-crammd5-2.1.15-10mdk

Also, I think there are some configuration options to Postfix to enable
sasl authentication. If they weren't enabled in your Postfix install, you
may have to re-configure. I installed to my Mandrake box using urpmi, and
the sasl options were included. It may differ depending on where/how you
isntalled Postfix from.

Hope this helps!

Doug