RE: [SLUG] RE: OT: M$ deals the final blow

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 00:24:41 EDT

>> That would require GPL incompatible extensions to the kernel

Sorry, but I doubt that. MS could GPL any extensions to the kernel that
would allow them to interface anything they wanted, and offer a second CD or
download for closed extensions.

>>The problem with drivers is that they must be GPL.

I think they really don't have to be GPL. There's plenty of options for
distribution of closed drivers. Nvidia is a good example, as you point out.

>>Microsoft can't remove binary and API compatibility.

Won't have to. I'd expect them to limit it to x86, and it doesn't have to
be 'real compatible'. MS wins if Windows users try it and prefer Windows.
If it comes across as a poor substitute for Windows, consumers would assume
all the buzz about Linux is hype. You seem to be assuming they want a
proper implementation of Linux. I assume they do NOT - it's an embrace,
extend, and wreck it strategy.

>>It's is technically infeasible for them to develop an NT release with full
dual-32 and 64-bit libraries like Linux.

I guess I'm confused. NT was first developed on 64-bit Mips processors, and
I had a DEC Alpha with 64-bit NT years ago, and the Autodesk programmers I
worked with certainly thought it was the bomb (AutoCAD uses 64-bit floating
point values for it's vectors). So, at one time, NT _was_ 64-bit, but I've
never had a chance to look at the source, so I can't comment with certainty.

I suspect you know more than I about the what's really under the hood, or at
least what appears to be there. And I think we are in agreement about most
of these issues. Where we differ is what MS's business intent is, and how
they can go about it. Remember, HP once had written a custom HAL that
allowed them to run NT Server on top of their mainframe OS. This would
suggest MS could take an older version of NT and stick it on top of Linux
and call it MS Linux. And I don't believe they would be shy about doing
things that might cause some of the GPL copyright holders to get involved in
a long, drawn out, expensive lawsuits, even if MS expected to lose. Look at
their SCO settlement as an example.

Thanks for the interesting and detailed comments.

Ken Elliott