Re: [SLUG] Sarasota Meeting Update

From: Pete Theisen (petet@acun.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 05:04:05 EDT

mark@bish.net wrote:

> Ok, I'm not going to Australia until next week. They are postponing my
> trip due to Ivan. So, I will be here for the meeting.
>
> But, it is still canceled due to the hurricane. *grin*
>
> Good luck and be safe.

Hi Mark!

What about the Ext 3 - Ext 2 thing? I have been discussing it on another
list with Ted Roche. What is your take on this:

Pete, we're talking about two different kinds of recovery. When I delete
something, I usually (99%) want it GONE. That's a good thing. However,
the recoverability I was talking about was of the file system itself.
Rather than silently leave corrupted files on disk, or require an
extensive "fsck" or "chkdsk" on recovery from a crash, a journaled file
system like ext3 or ReiserFS can re-run or rollback updates to the file
system to put it into a predictable and consistent state.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com
On Sep 10, 2004, at 2:59 AM, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Ted Roche wrote:
>
>> Could be hardware, could just be some corruption on the disk - if
you shut down the computer "the hard way," you can corrupt the contents
of the disk. EXT3 is supposed to be recoverable, but perhaps not.

> Hi Ted!
>
> At our last SLUG meeting the president, Mark Bish, told us that Ext 3
is *not* recoverable, at least not deleted files. I was in the middle of
an install and I stopped it to restart with Ext 2. You never know when
you might want to get a file back.