Re: [SLUG] RE: OT: M$ deals the final blow

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 09:05:18 EDT

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 05:09, Pete Theisen wrote:
> Hi Bryan!
> Pigs will fly when I can build a driver, wouldn't know where to start.

Actually, nVidia** has the most mature approach. It's 1 command.

They include a GPL loader that can be built against _any_ kernel, which
solves the symbols/versioning issue. That code then loads the static
"object code" of the driver.

Although various kernel developers seem to go crazy over this, Linus has
shown that he feels it is inevitable that other vendors will follow
suit. So while Linux and co. won't build this capability into the
kernel, there are already other vendors starting to offer it.

E.g., there is already one for NDIS (Microsoft's NIC API) drivers.

The GPL prevents these vendors from including the drivers in the stock
kernel, or in any redistribution like a stock distribution of Linux.
But the GPL allows end-users to link GPL and non-GPL for private
purposes, as long as it is not redistributed.

[ **SIDE NOTE: Now that Intel no longer considers the "PCI bastard"
known as AGP a "trade secret" with the advent of the PCI Standard
Group's PCI-Express, more of nVidia's code will become GPL. A lot of
people like to point fingers at nVidia, but Intel is very much part of
the problem. ]

> What am I even doing here if *this* is true . . .

That's my point on why a MS Linux would _not_ solve the driver problem.

The only reason Windows is more popular with the OEMs is because they
can release binary-only drivers. You cannot for Linux because of the
nature of the GPL, _unless_ you build it yourself (or someone in your
organization does).

The reality is that if you don't buy cheap, "superstore hardware" you
don't have this issue. Or if you find a vendor with cheap, "superstore
hardware" that supports Linux, they avoid this issue altogether -- and
even save themselves a few bucks!

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community